Site Meter

Monday, October 10, 2011

Sunburst

This lovely old sailing dinghy was being made ready for an afternoon on the water in Riverton's estuary, so I made a detour to talk with the sailor. Mark's been sailing for much of his life but said he regards such opportunities as he was about to take, as far more special than he did when he was a young man, after having read a poem in a book he chanced to pick up years ago, while he was relieving in an English class at a high school. He knew the short poem by heart, and relayed it to me. And here it is.

"Summer sang in me
A song that sings no more."

So Mark sails, on perfect days such as today.

4 comments:

Shunda barunda said...

I am very keen to purchase a Sunburst for the family. I have always dreamed of building my own design, but while I am able, I just don't have enough time (or am too disorganised).

Great wee boats.

robertguyton said...

Good luck with finding one, Shunda. They're a lovely craft - not highly tuned by any stretch of the imagination, but reliable and fun. What more could you want. Must get ours back out on the water this summer. perhaps I could swap poems out on the water, with Mark.

Shunda barunda said...

Hey, you could even tow it up here and have a match race with the Barundas when I get mine.

We could televise it and stream it online!

You won't have time to write poems though, the action will demand full attention.

robertguyton said...

It's a good idea, Shunda, though you seem blissfully unaware of the race-record of the Guyton boys. I'll have time for poetry alright, as my duties on-board are light - a little jib-trimming, spotting the buoys and later, holding aloft the trophy. I'm sure I could afford to share a verse or two as we knife past the Barundas, entangled in their sheets :-)