I shot theses two images on a grotty day and the Get Growing team made them attractive with some text. I wrote the copy. There's more at Get Growing. It's online.
Saturday, June 20, 2015
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
The past few days have been uncomfortable ones for our bees. Like humans, they don't like crap weather and huddle inside in order to avoid the cold and rain. This photo of a bee was not taken this month but during the summer. It's intended to lift the spirits of any bee reading my blog.
Posted by robertguyton at 5:49 PM
Sunday, June 14, 2015
Sunday, May 31, 2015
About 79,500 results
- www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/.../Food-forest-puts-Riverton-couple-on-the23 Apr 2013 ... A Southland couple's "food forest" is expected to be a major drawcard for ... heritage rokewood apples at their multi-layered Riverton forest garden. ... was the first time their food forest had featured on an international platform.
- www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food.../The-rise-of-food-forests-in-the-south19 Jan 2015 ... Robyn Guyton and her husband Robert were permaculturalists who had been working on their Riverton forest garden, which has been ...
- www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/.../Food-forests-promoted-in-south8 Dec 2014 ... Robert Guyton explains the Food Forest idea to Anna Rutherford at the ... about the theories involved in creating edible forest gardens. ... The world had sold itself to commercialised production, and it was time to claim production back. Southland could be self sufficient if people used more of their land for ...
- www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/.../food-forests-growing-in-popularity.html15 Jan 2015 ... Food forests, also known as forest gardening, are an easy to maintain and ... One of the world's leading examples is growing in Southland.
- foodforest.co.nz/the-guytons-riverton-food-forest-nz/16 Jun 2013 ... Food forest puts Riverton couple on the map – Southland Times ... been published about them and their forest garden, they get about 5 phone ...
- www.sces.org.nz/pmwiki.php/content/newsFood Forest Tours ~ A guided tour with Robert/Robyn Guyton through their 17 ... To can listen here on-line any time: http://www.radiosouthland.org.nz Click on ..... They are in Riverton to see the school and community Gardens and orchards, ...
- natlib.govt.nz/items?i%5Bprimary_collection%5D=findNZarticlesResults 1 - 20 of 1696690 ... Date: 24 Nov 2004 From: Southland Times, By: Savory, Logan ... Trish Witnesses the revival of food forest gardens in New Zealand.
- https://www.facebook.com/southlandtimes/.../10152838234117093Also food forests are a great idea.. but in Southland the season is from October ... time to get back to nature teach a child to grow a garden that child will in turn ...
- https://www.facebook.com/southlandtimes/.../10152566474957093The Southland Times · January 18 · ... The joys of forest gardening. It's like having ... If rental has a vege garden u might tend and grow then your landlord sells.
Posted by robertguyton at 11:29 AM
Friday, May 29, 2015
Invercargill school teacher Jacqueline Stewart said using the 25 playground sites earmarked for removal as part of a community permaculture or Mara Kai project would benefit the community.
They would create a nutritious food source, increase awareness of the importance of healthy eating, provide employment, and create educational opportunities, she said.
Stewart said the Riverton food forest operated by Robert and Robyn Guyton proved the proposal would attract people to the city.
"The Guytons have the best example of a southern climate food forest, and they're getting people from around the world visiting," she said.
Councillor Lloyd Esler questioned the proposal, saying many of the proposed foods, including kumara, would not grow in Invercargill because of the climate.
Stewart said she would have to conduct more research into which types of plants would be suitable, but she was confident the idea was realistic.
The Guytons did not respond to a request for comment before The Southland Times' deadline."
Posted by robertguyton at 2:35 PM