Site Meter

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I set my Eric trap, and wait...



















Knowing that National Party MP Eric Roy was to walk his Riverton to Colac Bay leg of his Southland tour today, I baited his route with a protest-cairn made with 3 chunks of lignite. My plan? To leap nimbly from behind the nearby power-pole as Eric lumbered toward the lignite and snap him looking perplexed. I'd then batter him with challenging questions around climate change and lignite mining. Once he'd ceased his tearful pleading for mercy in the face of my searching interrogation, I'd walk him up the hill to my house, where I'd make him a cup of tea and he could have a wee lie down, before continuing his slightly stunned way, on to Colac Bay.

But he didn't show up. I knew he was in town, as I'd seen his massive diesel-burning support truck earlier in the morning. Perhaps he'd been caught up in a leg of the cycle Tour of Southland that also came through here this morning, helicopters, cars, trucks, buses, vans and motorbikes in attendance. Or perhaps he'd beaten me to it, passing through in the murky half-light, like a thief in the night :-)

So I didn't get the shot I wanted, but the cairn looked good, so here it is anyway, slap-dab in the middle of the footpath. Imagine, if you will, Eric's grimace and fallen shoulders, on seeing this affront to his excavatory plans. I'll not give up though. Eric's due out here again next week for the candidate's debate at the local school hall. I have other plans and schemes for that night.

12 comments:

Charlie said...

this is hilarious!

Jacqueline said...

haha nice one! Shame you missed him but there is always a next time!

robertguyton said...

I've not given up.
Eric'll be jumping at every shadow, every wind-blown leaf.

Dave Kennedy said...

Wonderful!

robertguyton said...

You should set one as well Dave. One of us is bound to catch him!

fredinthegrass said...

Did you 'nick' that from Don, Rg. He needs all he can get as you southerners are a 'tight' lot

robertguyton said...

Don the Elder?
Or the Younger?
Both Luddites, transfixed by ancient coal technology. Both needing to think smart and think green. Technologies, that is.

fredinthegrass said...

If I may be so bold as to ask, what do you and The Lady Navigator cook with? You are not still eating all your food raw?

robertguyton said...

Gas, Fred. Robyn and I got gas :-)

fredinthegrass said...

It figures. Dont want to use your own backyard - lignite - just use someone elses.

Sally said...

Coal seam gas?

robertguyton said...

I'm positioning us for the day we build a biodigester from adobe. I already have an adobe bread/pizza oven and an outdoor wood-fired bath.