Site Meter

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Handling tuatara











Do it carefully!
They have powerful jaws and short tempers. They don't especially like to be handled by a novice.
I am that novice and will open the box and lift out the young female tuatara inside for the viewing pleasure of Arrowtown School in about 15 minutes time.
If I do it wrong, I stand to lose a finger, whilst entertaining the children at the same time.
I'll be taking special care, approaching the sphenodon sensitively and hoping for the best.
I've done this before but that was years ago.
Hopefully, it's like riding a bike, though looking at the news over the past week isn't comforting as far as that goes.
I'll report back once the school has gone.

*Up-date:  We both survived the encounter, in fact we were very comfortable in each other's company. Might look out for one for a pet.

4 comments:

Poppy said...

Robert - Are you aware that our pets are a reflection of our own characteristics - 'You and a Tuatara' - hum!!

robertguyton said...

Tuatara only snap if mishandled.
Treat your tuatara well and you'll get years and years and years and years of satisfaction from the handsome things :-)

Southernright said...

they say people resemble their pets, does that mean you look old, have a hard hide, are slow to reproduce and are often grumpy.....hang on, I've just described a politition......oh yeah, your on the council, same thing I spose....hee hee

robertguyton said...

Yes Southernright! That's me to a 't'!
Plus I was on Stephens Island when I was young andI'm in the Southland Museum in my dotage - it's uncanny!
(The bonus of course, is that I might live til I'm 150!)