Site Meter

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Chairman Collie writes...













Impartiality a duty


I retire from my role as chairman of the Southland Region Council I would like to make it clear to intending councillors that they have a duty to be impartial on matters that come before them.
Both Robert Guyton and Pauline McIntosh have in recent correspondence to The Southland Times, made clear statements of predetermination regarding significant matters that may come before council at some future time.
These statements will automatically disbar them from any decision process that may be convened to make policy and decisions that relate to these possible developments.
Because the regional council regulates use of the natural environment, councillors are not able to be politically active in the manner that is appropriate for a district or city councillor.
The regional council's role is to ensure wise use of natural resources. Decisions must be based on facts not opinions.
The region's prosperity in the longer term is dependent on the maintenance of a sound ecosystem. As the community will have noted from the comments made by Cr Rodway in his most pertinent letter published last week, it is possible to have development and clean waterways.
Similarly with issues around future water demand, our task is to identify the environmental limits to use of the resource and it is for applicants to bring to council proposals that comply with those limits.
It is our role to drive innovative solutions that get the best use of the region's resources in a sustainable manner.

Stuart Collie, retiring chairman, Southland Regional Council

My response is already fizzing on the desk of the letters editor.

5 comments:

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Robert,
So let me understand this. Basically he is saying nothing in the past should matter, that all decisions should only be based on the here and now. Shheesh!
Cheers,
Robb

robertguyton said...

Hi Robb
Mr Collie is attempting to undermine voter confidence in Pauline and myself. Perhaps I shouldn't have teased him at the Grey Power meeting :-)
I fired off a letter to the editor first thing this morning but have since withdrawn it on the sage advice of my wife!
It read:

Retiring chairman of Environment Southland Stuart Collie is confused.
He criticises candidates for making ‘clear statements of predetermination regarding significant matters’.
Good grief!
Does he think voters should be kept in the dark about candidates intentions?
Southlanders don’t want secrecy and bland statements from those who stand for council.
They want to know what they’re getting when they vote.
Mr Collie may like to keep his intentions to himself, hide his true agenda but I don’t.
I’ll tell it as I see it.


Stuart is openly promoting the lignite proposals of Solid Energy.
I'm not :-)

Anonymous said...

It must be pretty hard to resist not hitting back at such an antagonistic and flawed dig.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he feels threatened that you will erode the damage he has worked so hard to do over the years..

robertguyton said...

If I'm sucessful with my bid (and I'm very hopeful) I'll save an especially big smile for Mr Collie.