Site Meter

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Small persimmon.


My first persimmon seed has sprouted and is looking strong. I have 11 others in the pot which may also strike, in which case I'll be very pleased. I read that persimmons are comfortable growing in cooler climes. That's good, I have one of those. In my youth, I used to admire the orange fruits hanging from a mature persimmon growing in Isel park in Stoke. Now, it seems, I'll be able to admire those growing in my own "park", though I'm mindful of the idiom, "don't count your chickens before they hatch".
I remember that the fruits hung long into winter, un-picked. This, from Kate Marshall, inspired me:
"The persimmons will stay on the tree right into the winter, with the birds pecking the flesh out of the fruit, leaving an orange lantern-like shell hanging on the tree."
Why not leave them for the birds?

No comments: