Site Meter

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Bits'n'bobs



There are a number of 'things' I want to find and keep over the next few years. I've already found some things that I don't have to be on the lookout for now, as I have them already, such as the nugget of kauri gum I bought last weekend in Oamaru and the sting from the tail of a stingray I found on a beach long ago. A 6-foot length of yew has been in my mind's-eye-sights for years now and today, I got it. The old yew trees that grow around Riverton's war monument provided the straight branch and the community board sanctioned the pruning. It's very heavy, being dense, and I've glooped the cut ends with pruning paste to help prevent cracking as the branch seasons and dries. I don't think I'll try to make a long bow, such as the one Robin Hood was in possession of, according to popular belief, but I will make a staff, incase I meet with any Little John's as I go about my business.

No comments: