Site Meter

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Morningcoat

I've found one! I've been yearning for a coat to wear to the Steampunk festival at the end of the month and now I have one. While I thought it was a tailcoat I needed, it turns out that a morning coat is better suited (pun#1) It was at the bottom of a box in a dark corner of a little second hand clothing shop whose location I'll not reveal until I'm fully kitted-out ;-) It's genuine and old, somewhat faded in parts, possessing of all but one of its original buttons and in need of a wash and some careful stitching. My seamstress daughter-in-law has offered to sew and I've done the washing - cold water, a little Lux soap flake, no agitation and innumerable rinses. Now it's drying, flat and on towels, then I'll be able to take it to the next level of restoration. My father-in-law tells me that coats like mine were worn faded by men who had invested in a coat that would last them a life-time, and this one is one of those. It fits me like a glove. Last night I talked with Julia-famous-jeweller, about some "accoutrements" of the metallic kind, to transform the gentleman's morning coat into a steampunk special. If she does manufacture something, I'll be truly spoiled. My father-in-law has offered to loan he his grandfather's fob watch and a friend is searching through his storage for his great grandfather's top-hat and, though it's battered, may do the trick and add some class to my outfit.
Here's a shot of how I imagine I might look, before I 'punk up' the costume. I'm planning too, a walking-stick, the knob of which will be formed from a very old and especially beautiful rear-tail light from an old bicycle.
Fun and games!


2 comments:

fredinthegrass said...

You will look absolutely stunning Rg!
But can you "do" slightly off-hand bordering on aloof?
Pictures PLEASE!!

robertguyton said...

Off-hand is my country, aloof my native tongue.

Pictures pending.