Site Meter

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The rantings of Mr E...

...but is he right? Mr E comments regularly on a farming blog where my own comments no longer make it through the filter. He doesn't comment here now, though he did in the past, saying it's too difficult to aquire a Google 'identity', or some such excuse. No matter. Here's his view on Environment Southland's management of nitrogen. It's quite interesting too.

One Response to Land use changes put pressure on water quality – Environment Commissioner

Mr E says:

November 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I’ve been asked to comment on this. I’ll try and do it as clearly and concisely as possible.
I understand this:
They’ve modelled the future (predicted) by 2 models
They see N and P increasing
They see N as the biggest problem because it is hard to mitigate
They see cows as the biggest issue because the change is linked to their land use change.
They see many of the events/behaviour currently happening will have a big impact on this prediction. Mitigating the outcome.

My view. I agree with many of the statements. I’ve heard them before. What would I say?
Without action N will increase
I think P is under control in most regions.
I see some dairy systems as being problematic
I believe it is easy for us to mitigate the issue of Nitrogen

How do we change it?
Cows are not the problem. Let me say it again. Cows are not the problem. There are dairy systems out there losing very little N
Stocking rate is not a predictor for N loss- intensification schmensification. Don’t bang that drum. Its nonsense.
Urea use is a reasonable predictor for N loss. (I’ve seen 2 reports on this now)

Solution
Farmers need to use less N and use it smarter. Pure and simple. Particularly on Dairy farms. It is a little white grain that threatens our waterways. It is measurable, transportable, and controllable in a very easy manner. It is not some hidden secretly transported drug that cant be controlled.

In the first instance farmers need better education on the use of N. Its sadly lacking. Councils have missed the boat here. Shockingly. Their job is environmental protection and they ignored their greatest opportunity to have an affect. Here in Southland ES field days are rare as hens teeth. ES field days on N are waiting to be invented.
That is diabolical to me. How can the council turn its back on such an opportunity. Disgraceful

Subsequent to that. Farmers need N application limits for regions/ catchments/ districts/ farms.
Here in Southland ES might say they have that covered with their farm management plans for conversions. That’s a load of poppy cock, bull dust, flagbagging (Ok I’m making up words). Farm management plans do nothing but complicate the issue. Already 2 dairy farms have been consented on light dirt. The rule change has no teeth. It never was going to and never will. Even if they apply it to all farms as they’ve suggested. Which frankly is ridiculous. ES have struggled to control the behaviour of some of their staff, how do they expect to control thousands of farmers. It’s laughable.

Our council needs to turn its back on farm management plans and focus on N use. I have said it to many, banged a drum, rallied the troops, even tested the concept with farmers. So far so good.

Sheep farmers lose heaps of N from wintering (rough science but still accepted). We ignore them. Why? We are busy focusing on farm management plans. Why? Who knows. There are 900 odd dairy farms but thousands of sheep. Focus councils focus. Nitrate Nitrates Nitrates. Region wide. Crop farms, sheep farms, deer farms, dairy farms etc

Why do I disagree about phosphate increasing. Simple – Its been decreasing for a least 10 years. All this while much dairy boom has occurred. Here in Southland where the boom has been the loudest, over 72 sites only one deteriorated in soluble P between 2002-2012. One out of 72!
Oddly our council is still banging this drum. Making odd suggestions about keeping stock 10m for waters edge. Focus! Not phosphates. Nitrates.

That’s longer than I anticipated and will bore some. But I am passionate about this. Focus Councils focus Nitrates Nitrates Nitrates.

These are my views. You asked for them. You got em.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you been banned at HP?

robertguyton said...

I suspect so, well, not so much banned as binned. My comments, full and carefully thought out, won't 'stick' and don't appear in the comment stream when I press publish.
I suspect she's installed an anti-Guyton filter. In any case, I'm bored with her sort of delivery. Shilling blindly takes us nowhere and I can't be bothered to stir that pot of sticky blue glue anymore.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean, keeps on being more of the same old same old. Better direct energy and effort to korero with those who are not so closed minded

robertguyton said...

Closer to home, there's more to be achieved and no shortage of 'Ele's'.
It's not as though I'm going to shut up :-)

Unknown said...

We spent the afternoon cycling from the Octagon to the Ocean with 100 others in solidarity with the oil free flotilla. The message will be getting out to way more people than read HP. TV1 were filming. ODT there too.

paulinem said...

Mr E is right re nitrogen overuse ..this was discussed when I did my study of environment management. The thought then was the fertilizer sold contained far too much nitrogen in its ingredients to be healthy. The comment was there should be government direction about assuring the N impute in fertilizer to dairy farms it was cut back.

But this goes to the heart of the problem we have a government that talk the talk but refuse to legislate to assure definite action can happen to remedy the pollution problem.

On another issue as a child I would hear often from established farmers ( my dad was a retired farmer ) how dangerous it was to farm with all your eggs in the one basket. AS they correctly suggested life/weather can influence production markets or outside influences can put at risk on to that one product that is farmed .

Why I ask isn't Federated Farmers giving as much energy to encourage a prosperous sheep industry as they give to the dairy industry??

Thousands of NZ homes rely heavily on a prosperous sheep industry. When sheep was at its hey day we had virtually no environmental problems with our waterways !!Our economy boomed as freezing workers earned good money for their families.

His comments about ES were also very relevant ..I think ES could do alot more about getting out there in our community. I find it horrifying that so many in our community have NO idea what ES does etc in our community. It horrified me during the elction campign that teachers when asked had no idea of the purpose of ES.. when the comment was said dairy farming they would go into a tirade about pollution etc.

Despite this when it came to vote they didnt bother ..and these people influence our kids !!! It seems to me a hands off approach is how this present ES works under the leadership of Ali...I still when I think of it am disgusted at the hands of approach attitude to Bluff harbour ..this is our port which we as a community heavily rely on for our economy !!

robertguyton said...

Well done, corokia!
I'll watch out for you on tonight's news.
What were you wearing :-)

robertguyton said...

Pauline - I'm with you on that 'keep em in the dark' business. A team of councilllors plans to call public meetings especially for city folk to discuss their concerns and quiz councillors. There hasn't been enough of that by any means, but that's about to change. You'll enjoy my next letter and maybe respond to it, who knows :-)

Unknown said...

Only quick glimpses of me on both channels, but G was on a chopper bike at front. Much excitement as 10yr old son and 15 yr daughter spotted themselves on TV (and nephew and friend) 17 yr old daughter now regrets not coming I think. Have recorded news, now back to Dr Who 50th anniversary. What a day!