Site Meter

Friday, August 16, 2013

Par avion















Just sent off the first fist-full of envelopes containing Green Man stickers, following the launch of the Common Ground movement. There has been a healthy response from all around the country, and we've barely show our green face yet. The possibilities seem many and varied. I've not lost the tiniest jot of enthusiasm for it and don't expect to any time soon. I've been sent some lovely stories from people keen to be a sticker-bearer, and soon I'll publish some of those (with their permission, naturally) to show just how delightful those people are.
*Though I titled my post 'par avion', most but not all, of my letters have been dispatched via surface mail, snail-mail as it's latterly known. I do like that - snail-mail - so descriptive and romantic. No rush, less haste, just sittin' here waitin' for my snail-mail to arrive.

4 comments:

Cally said...

Looking forward to 'snail mail' - I didn't realise until I put the 'No Circulars' sign up, just how little real mail I get these days. So when I'm feeling the loss, I go on line and buy books :p

robertguyton said...

Send out some snail-mail, cally. It'll come back with bells on. I write to my daughter often and she writes back in response. I also get the most beautiful letters from older people on gardening issues - written in the loveliest of hands and using language that delights. I'll post a photo of an envelope I received recently - charming it is, in its spidery politeness.

robertguyton said...

Just "discovered" your blog. There's a lot of reading there and I'll do that soon - your shed! Crikey! The mushroom post interests me a lot (at first glance). Too busy to read just now, but I will...

The Professional Countrywoman said...

Hey you guys. I just bought an ancient relic known as a "typewriter" so I can do exactly that - write letters and send them snail mail. But have you tried to actually use the post office lately? I could not believe how expensive it was to post anything. Is it part of what my husband calls "Mismanagement with great skill" going on that they shoot themselves in the foot by making it prohibitively expensive to post anything, then complain they have to shut down our Dunedin centre, reduce mail deliveries etc. Bring back snail mail I say. You, oh Robert Guyton, will be the first recipient of such a letter.