Site Meter

Monday, June 17, 2013

Kingfisher letter - fishing...


Lloyd Blakie's letter about the Jacob's River estuary got me thinking, especially where he describes seeing kingfishers nearby to his house. Living in the same neck of the woods as Lloyd, I've seen those birds often, perched on posts in the water or the branches of dead trees, watching for small fishes. I haven't though, seen them around the townhip of Riverton, even though there are plenty of whitebait and smelt in the water just behind the museum. Until today, that is. Thanks to whoever it is that's standing up sticks of driftwood in the bed of the estuary, the kingfishers have moved closer to the town. With something to perch on, the birds are coming in to where everyone can see them and they really are a beautiful sight.                                                                                                                        

4 comments:

Armchair Critic said...

It's oh so quiet

robertguyton said...

I've been fully engaged holding people to account, successfully I might add. As well, my focus has been my family over the past week or so. There have been developments that have required fatherly attention and all is well.

Unknown said...

Glad all is well. Great to watch the ole Kingfisher. Have you ever had a chance to check out the large Tui population in Queenstown Robert?

robertguyton said...

There are Tui in Q-town, WW? I'm there next week and will look for them. That, or I've missed a subtle jibe.