Site Meter

Thursday, September 6, 2012

One plum

I have a dozen or so plum trees. All are in blossom right now. Sheep farmers are in the middle of lambing at the moment, but blossom time is for me what lamb-drop is for them - exciting, heart-warming and worrying, all at the same time. A frost might fall. Strong winds might sweep away the potential crop. So far, the weather has favoured the plums and the lambs. Yesterday was a little wet and cold, but today is once again, balmy. Best news for me - the bees have arrived, en masse. I was worrying at their lack of showing, but this morning, as I dished out the mash to the hens, I noticed the nearest plum tree was alive with bees. I'd seen petals falling like snowflakes and wondered, what the hell, but soon saw that it was my apis friends, buzzing from flower to flower, pollinating like crazy and dislodging loose petals as they went about their business (tempting to say 'buzzness', but I won't!).
Here's a shot of one of my trees, all a'blossom and blessedly pigeon-free, for the moment - they'll wait til the fruit has formed before re-visiting in order to strip my crop so far as they are able - but I'll be waiting, net and clappers in hand this year.


No comments: