Site Meter

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ray's wonderful truck

Ray's had this model truck for about 80 years! He was given it as a small boy and cared for it as meticulously as he cares for his full-sized vehicles. It was a promotional model for, if I listened carefully enough this afternoon, a tire company called "Silvertown ". It must have been ruggedly constructed, as it has been played with by Ray, his sons and daughters and their children over that long period of time. It's a beauty, isn't it!




5 comments:

Towack said...

If it was a promotional truck for Silvertown then the tyres would be white walls - I'm sure silvertowns were BF Goodriches whitewall tyres from the 20's.
The truck looks like a Lesney - I have one quite similar.

robertguyton said...

Did you check out the name on the tire?

Towack said...

yep - some of mine have names on the tyre - if Silvertown did use it, it would have been a white wall. And quite likely a luxery car, not a tow truck. Nice model though

robertguyton said...

Now, if I had some photos of your models, I could show them to Ray. Post them on here even, for all to enjoy!

Towack said...

The best model I have is not vintage yet, 1970's version, great lines, good tread, actually I thought it was such a good model I married her