Site Meter

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Maypole

I'm making a maypole from a long, straight holly trunk I cut recently. The pole is about 12 feet long (maypoles are measured in feet) and strong enough to support a dozen dancers. I debarked it today using the draw-knife I bought last week. I've lain the pole down flat, with plenty of air circulating, out of doors, under some trees and have covered it with oat stooks left over from the harvest festival, to keep it from drying out too fast. While I'm waiting for it to cure, I'll seek out enough ribbon for the purpose and come next spring, there'll be some dancing on the village green! (I'll have to also organize a village green and enough dancers but that's easily done). For now, progress is good!





6 comments:

Shunda barunda said...

It would also make a fine witch burning stake!

But that's a whole nother festival......

robertguyton said...

A 12 foot witch!
Have you heard of Mrs Snitchnose Shunda?
Now there's a witch!

Shane Pleasance said...

How do you know she is a witch?

robertguyton said...

"Mrs Snitchnose the six-inch witch".

Bangers and Mash.

Shane Pleasance said...

I used to watch many a maypole dance from my dads shop window in Shrewsbury of a Saturday morning.

How about following up with a little dwile flonking, the occasional pastime of my birthplace?

robertguyton said...

Shane!
This is too good!
We need to talk. In the meantime, I'm posting on dwile flonking and hoping that you're not just pulling my leg.
I'm up for Riverton's first ever game (next summer - mark your calendar!)