Site Meter

Friday, January 7, 2011

Sluglet


This marvelous image comes from (tried to ask permission to use it but couldn't log on) Sciblogs and an article by David Winter (Sunday Spineless) about some of the spineless creatures that interest him.
He says,

"I haven’t seen a full-sized slug in a long time. But these immature ones are out and about every evening, I’ll have a little more to say about them in the new year."

I have David, seen adults not so long ago that is. They're a favourite of mine and I make sure they come to no harm whenever I uncover them, usually amongst the pots and bags in my nursery.
I'll certainly be watching your blog for your update.
The photo is wonderful, btw, and I hope you don't object to my reproducing it. If you do, I'll take it down and put up something less fabulous.

11 comments:

David Winter said...

Ha, thanks for the link and glad to see another fan of these little guys!

You're more that welcome to use any of my images I post on the blog. In it's 'other' home (theatavism.blogspot.com) there is a creative commons license, I really have to put the same thing on the sciblogs version.

robertguyton said...

Thanks very much David. Your generosity is appreciated as are your discussions about the spineless ones. I'm going to pour over your other posts soon and see what else you are interested in. Everyone should love leaf vein slugs - they're marvelous.

ZenTiger said...

Shameless manipulation of our tender emotions. You had to go find a cute one, didn't you?

robertguyton said...

And she's a lil' orfin!

Shunda barunda said...

A few years ago I found one of these slugs that was so large I called the department of conservation!

robertguyton said...

Did they do a 'Steve Irwin' on it, bind it's claws and jaws, winch it onto a truck and relocate it away from the places humans frequent?
Seriously Shunda - how big was it? Did you get a photo and...
what are you up to these days (I lost your email address!)

Shunda barunda said...

Just got back from camping up in Golden bay, haven't been home much the past month! (I have a half finished email to you in my draft box)
I also met someone (friend of a friend) that knows Adam.

robertguyton said...

Wasn't you who torched that camper-van was it Shunda?

Shunda barunda said...

No, but we had lunch right next to it mere hours before it happened.

What a nut case!

robertguyton said...

Act voter.

robertguyton said...

The slash and burner.