Site Meter

Friday, November 26, 2010

Dawn chorus












There's a new player in the early bird show outside of my bedroom window and I'm pretty sure it's a cuckoo.
I don't know whether it's shining or long-tail.
Need to find out more.
Either way it's very evocative and I'm delighted to hear it.
If I see it flying I'll know if it's the longer-tailed of the two because I've seen one before, when I was on Kapiti Island and it looked just like the one in the picture, though I was seeeing it from above, standing as I was on top of Tuteremoana.
From there, incidentally, I could see Stephen's Island, where I'd held my first tuatara  and given that I held one yesterday at the museum, I'm feeling all co-incidence-y (word? Nope.)

I found this:

Ko te uri au i te whenakonako


I te koekoea.

E riro nei ma te tataihore e whangai.



I am the offspring of the bronze cuckoo,

Of the long-tailed cuckoo,

Left here for the white-head to feed.

No comments: