Site Meter

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Coal Corp moves

Don Elder, Solid Energy C.E.O. is breathlessly over-excited (Aug 28) about Southland’s lignite, saying he expects his company to ‘aggressively move forward’ with it’s lignite projects and that Solid Energy was ‘very serious’ about turning that grubby lignite into crude oil, diesel and urea.


Mr Elder says he wants to make his multi-billion dollar plans ‘as real as possible, as soon as possible’.

What he’s not telling us is how much extra his grand plans will cost taxpayers. On October 1st, you and I will start paying for the gas that big industries like Solid Energy belch out, thanks to the Government’s Emissions Trading Scheme.

Don Elder’s plans to put much, much more of that gas into the atmosphere here in Southland, will have to be paid for.

You can guess who will be paying.

5 comments:

Tim Jones said...

Hi, Robert - we met at the ECO conference a couple of months ago. That's an excellent post that gets to the heart of the issue.

There doesn't seem to be a Follow button on your blog (unless I've missed it), but I would definitely follow it if there was!

Kay Cooke said...

So would I!

robertguyton said...

Hi Tim - thank you for your comments. There will be a lot of 'movement' around this issue over the coming months, I believe and those interested in the developments need to be alert. I hope to be part of the sharing of information and opinion around Mataura's future.
I like to think,
"Mataura is a river not a mine!"
I'd be very happy to have you (and Kay - hello Kay!) follow my blog - the more the merrier!
The 'follow' button is at the top left of the 'homepage', at least it shows on mine. If you can't find it still, I'll look at it another way.
Rob

Tim Jones said...

Thanks, Robert. The "Follow" button didn't appear before I posted my comment, but did subsequently - so I have followed you.

Solid Energy seem to be pressing ahead in the hope of creating "facts on the ground" which support their plans, so I agree that those of us who are opposed to - or even unsure about - those plans need to stay alert and stay in touch.

robertguyton said...

'Facts on the ground' - that's good Tim. They are also preparing the ground with a flurry of 'good news' stories that they hope will set the public mood - tales of cleaness and prosperity.
They certainly have been busy. I have a post on the way about this.