Site Meter

Thursday, July 15, 2010

New Moon/Dark moon








Although I write the Moon Calendar for the New Zealand gardener magazine, I had to rush to Google last night to settle the discussion in our household around the question,
"Can you see the moon at New Moon."
I thought, yes, you'll see a sliver, but found that I was mostly wrong.
The 2 or three days around the New Moon finds no light from the sun striking the face of the moon, so it's not visible. Astronomers refer to this phase as the 'Dark Moon'.
Last night, the moon was a slender sliver of white, hanging in a moisty sky.
But it wasn't the New Moon. I have to wait 3 more days for that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im fairly sure you can (on a clear enough night at least). The moon with no sun directly on the side facing us is still a different shade to it's backing.

robertguyton said...

You've propably got better eyesight than me Bio.
Sometimes I look up and don't see nuttin'.
Saw a shooting star while I was going out to get the early morning paper though - two days in a row. Are we in the middle of some sort of shower?