Site Meter

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Fear of ge is as old as the fear of...grafting



















I've been planting and researching laburnum this afternoon:

*From digitalbotanicalgarden

"Grafting, which has been most often used in viticulture, fruit tree and rose production was once viewed by many as being a very unnatural practice, comparable with the way many view genetic engineering today. In his poem The Mower, Against Gardens, Andrew Marvell (1621-1678) wrote:


Another world was searched through oceans new,
To find the marvel of Peru;
And yet these rarities might be allowed
To man, that sovereign thing and proud, Had he not dealt between the bark and tree,
Forbidden mixtures there to see.
No plant now knew the stock from which it came ;
He grafts upon the wild the tame,
That the uncertain and adulterate fruit
Might put the palate in dispute.


Genetic engineering has yet to produce anything in the horticultural world that's as extraordinary as Adam's Laburnum"

6 comments:

Joe W said...

I once met a member of the Ratana Church who told me about a marvelous tree that was planted by the prophet himself. According to her it produced a variety of fruit, apple, pear, plums and even peaches. I was about to suggest that the prophet must have been a master grafter when she lost me with "And last year, it had a banana!"

robertguyton said...

Bananas, I'd say.
I'm surprised she didn't claim nuts as well. That said (and in my best Colin Craig voice) I can't say it's completely impossible, given that there's an apple called a 'Gooseberry', one called 'Irish Peach' and one called 'Winter Banana'!

Unknown said...

People got over fear of grafting, I don't suppose you are suggesting that we should get over fear of GE? I read a recent pro GE comment saying that there are not studies to prove GE is dangerous, therefore it is safe. Ridiculous! Lack of evidence, because the studies haven't been done, proves only that we don't know enough and we must be cautious. I'm preaching to the choir, eh :-)

robertguyton said...

Yes. I'm not about to side with the genetic engineers. I think there are more reasonable, less risky ways to improve food crops. That said, I think there's great value in looking back to the older 'originals' and including those in your diet (see tonight's post :-)

Phil said...

Hi Robert, Thanks for the comments you left on my blog, and my apologies for taking so long to respond - I've neglected it lately. Anyway, your comments were much appreciated and I've now posted responses. I've become a follower of your blog. All the best for 2014, Phil Gates

robertguyton said...

Thanks, Phil. I'm finding your blog fascinating and enjoying the commonality of interest. After I've read all of your existing posts :-) I'll be keeping an eye out for any new ones that you write.