Site Meter

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Calm day

The first day of Waitangi Weekend is settled and refreshing, here in the South. The estuary was as still as can be when I went down to make an image. While I squatted on a rock in the shallows, I noticed crabs and bullies gracefully going about their brackish business, shuffling about in the sandy bottom, measuring the distance from food to sanctuary, trying crevasses for fit and algae for flavour. I watch the surface of the water dimple and knew there must be inanga feeding but they're so swift, it took a while to tune in to see them below the surface. When I did, I saw that there were dozens of them, sleek and quick. I'd fight to protect those little guys from anyone, individual or corporation, that threatens their existence.
Here's the estuary.

No comments: