Site Meter

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Slater racing














Of all the sports I've been involved with over the years, slater racing is the one that I love the most. There's nothing quite like watching a slater scuttle as quickly as it can toward the finish line, though often they fail to finish for one reason or another. I've even seen one race end with a slater being eaten by a duck!
Excitement over a slater race can reach fever-pitch leading up to the event and the keenest punters will even bet on the result of the race - sometimes hundreds of dollars are won or lost as a result. Some slater races attract national attention and feature some well know personalities from the slater world.
If perchance I hear of any slater races of note, I'll feature them here for any others of you who follow such spectacles.
(Hint for newby slater race fans: never put money on the oversized slaters. They just can't hack the pace.)

No comments: